Tax Season Tips from Congressman Farr

IRSTax season is from Wednesday, January 30 to Monday, April 15 this year and Congressman Farr wanted to provide you with some useful information as you prepare to file your taxes.

If you earned $51,000 or less in 2012, you may be eligible for free tax preparation services by IRS-certified volunteers through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA volunteers are trained to help you receive your full refund. This includes the Earned Income Credit (EIC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC), federal tax credits for low- and moderate-income workers. You can check the box below to determine your eligibility. To find the closest VITA site, you can call 1-800-906-9887 or visit

Am I Eligible? How Big a Tax Credit Can I Get?*

For the EIC, if you have: Earned income less than: Claim an EIC up to:
1 child $36,920 $3,169
2 children $41,952 $5,236
3 or more children $45,060 $5,891
No children $13,980 $475
For the CTC, if you have: Earned more than: Claim a CTC up to:
1 or more children $3,000 $1,000 per child

EIC income limits for married workers are $5,210 higher than for single workers

*Source: Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

What To Bring for Free Tax Prep

· Valid picture ID

· Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Card for you, your spouse, and any children

· W-2s, 1098s, 1099s and any other tax forms received for 2012

· Last year’s tax form (helpful, but not required)

· Blank check for direct deposit (optional)

If you don’t have all of these documents, call the IRS helpline at 1-800-829-1040 to find out what you need to do and get replacements.

Other Helpful Resources

· Frequently downloaded forms, including W-9 and 1040

· IRS California Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs): TACs offer personal tax help when you don’t think your issue can be resolved over the phone or online.

· Taxpayer Advocate: Free help to help with resolving tax problems that you can’t figure out on your own.

· Student Tax Filing Help: Information from the Department of Education about how to handle tax forms for your Free Application Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Please don’t hesitate to call 831-424-2229 or visit Congressman Farr’s office at 100 West Alisal Street, Salinas.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s